Tuesday, August 26, 2014

first day of school!

The first day of school isn't exactly thrilling for daycare kids. We jump from one animal themed classroom to the next on a regular Monday in August. I can only trick my kids with new backpacks for their nonexistent homework and markers that are shared with the entire school for so long. This year was a bit different as Johnny was joining Ellie at big kid pre-school. That is what we daycarers call daycare post 2 years old, pre-school. It makes us feel better. Anyway, we do love our school and the kids seem to love it during the hours of 9-3.. before and after they get a bit restless, but for now, we forge ahead. Ellie's first day was a breeze for her. Notsomuch for her 9 month pregnant/emo mom who cried like a baby and had to be escorted out of school. Ellie peaced us on out and went on her way. I knew Johnny would be different. He is my sensitive one. The one that takes time to warm up to new places and situations. He is quiet and likes to play with his favorite trucks and trains on the floor for hours at at a time. He was pretty excited leading up to day 1. We got the backpack, and the markers, and the kleenex, and the headphones, and the dry erase markers, and the washable markers, and the washable crayons, and the paints, and the list goes on for about another day and a half. Don't I pay enough in daycare costs? Why am I supporting an entire class in school supplies? And headphones? He's 3. Please. Anyway, I always do as I told, so we supplied up. I got the backpacks packed and Johnny joined Ellie in the ceremonial first breakfast out of tupperware in the car on the way to daycare routine. And then we walked into school. I don't think John realized that I would be leaving him there. But he put on a brave face, tried to suck that bottom lip in and walked on in to the Honeybee class room. I cried, again, and Chris was so embarrassed, again. Ellie said she would do me a favor and check in on him several times a day. That lasted one day and then she got banned from checking on him as it was excessive. Whatever. Week one went well and then we did what every good parent would do and took them out of school for a week to go to the beach again. Whoopsy do. Can we do that in kindergarten???

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird