Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Watercolor 2014. Trip 1

The kids are beyond spoiled this summer by going on TWO family vacations. Ellie was so excited, mostly for not having to go to school when her friends were, but also for the beach. The Peterson Family trip was up next. We headed down to 30A for a long weekend and decided it would be easier to fly. 

The last time we flew with a child was for my 30th birthday when we went to New York. I was pregnant w/ John and Ellie was a very squirmy baby. I don’t remember anything eventful from the flight out there, but on the way home she had a diaper explosion that exposed my to-this-day biggest parenting failure… always forgetting to pack extra clothes. Ellie had to be changed into an “I Heart NYC” tee in the terminal and flew on home to chilly St. Louis. We survived, so whatever. And now the kids have an extra night shirt to be added to their large collection. 

God almighty I wander with my thoughts. Back to the airport. I was a bit nervous to fly with the kids and their gear. I was trying to think of a way to avoid bringing car seats there, and then the responsible parent in me slapped myself in the face. Why do I feel just because you are in another state, country, zip code that my kids don’t need to be harnessed in? I did a pretty good job packing and condensing. I still majorly overpacked, I don’t know how to not do that, but all in all pretty good. We had 3 carseats, 3 pieces of luggage, 1 double Bob, 3 kids, 1 backpack, and 1 carryon. I went back and forth about bringing the double Bob thinking it would be really annoying, but ohmygod, I was never so happy to have something. We gate checked it and it was the easiest thing ever. I was so happy to have it on our return flight through Atlanta at 10pm. I have mentally checked off about 10 items we still don’t need for our next trip. 


My goal is to be lighter in luggage weight for a longer trip in a few weeks. On the way there we got to fly with Brian, Jill and the kids and Grandpa! The kids were so excited to be sitting next to their cousins. Ellie and Greta colored the whole flight and the boys watched a movie. Well, Will watched a movie, John asked 900 questions about “ware-planes”. Is there anything better than little boys and trains & ware-planes? I think not!


We arrived in FLA ready to hit the beach. I am sad to say that my camera did not make it out of the house very often… we were too much on the go. Good thing our next trip includes Cece, who always has a camera around and will not stop at much for a good picture. We will make up for it!

We made a quick pit stop on the beach on the way to dinner on our first night. Ellie surprised me with a dress she stowed away. How on earth do they always find those? Anyway, she was totally happy and I felt like a total jerk for starting a fight over it so I let it go. And then packed it back up after she fell asleep. 


The kids were such a great age this year for the sand, ocean and pool. They couldn't wait to wake up on Thursday morning and hit the sand. We took a little walk down to the beach in the 8 o'clock hour to start our day. The beach was so quiet and almost all to ourselves. The kids went to town digging, throwing and building. We nixed naps for the week for Patrick and for the most part he did pretty good. I noticed his left eye getting a little smaller sometimes which is a sure sign for exhaustion, but he powered through. 
   





 

My little card shark spent a lot of time perfecting her game of Go Fish! I can't wait until she can start gambling with the good stuff, pennies!


We spent a lot of time at the pool, because the kids are just at an age where they love the pool. That is fine by Chris, who totally loves the beach but hates sand. I could sit on the beach all day with a book but we know that isn’t going to happen for a long while so until that time, I go with the flow.

Eddie was a trooper sitting on the sidelines watching all the big kids in the water and sand. Next year he will be all over it, but until then, he chews on a rubber rib :)

The pool is where the kids perfected their strokes, underwater breathing and being tossed into the air really inappropriately by their fathers. I nearly passed out when he threw Patrick clear across the pool. Puddle Jumpers are truly the greatest invention since the Boppy. Rather than live in a world of "ohmygod my child is going to drown" fear, I could focus on my "ohmygod I pray Patrick doesn't have a blowout in the pool" fear. They really are miracle workers. The kids were free to roam around the pool without any immediate danger.


Ellie totally ditched the floaties in lieu of googles and underwater swimming. She has made strides in her breathing and blowing out of her nose. So proud of the little fish! Johnny has embraced the Puddle Jumpers and is no longer hovering on the top step, but actually jumping in (little jumps) off the side of the pool. John takes way longer to warm up to things and we were so proud of his huge accomplishments on this trip!

Patrick. Oh Patrick. Always his own story. Patrick got those puddle jumpers buckled and marched right to the highest ledge of the pool and belly flopped on it and didn't look back once. The kid is an animal and willing to try anything. The pool was where he honed his back float skills and hair -raising throws :)

At the beach the kids dug a massive hole and went in and out of the waves. Patrick filled a small cup with water and poured it in the hole for an hour. Win win for all.

Oh and charmed all the Southern pre-teens with his wit and vocabulary. "hiiiii" "byyyyeeee".

We had a couple of Florida storms, but true to form they were in and out in a flash. We even took advantage of the weather one day and zipped (okay not really zipped when you drive the main drag past the outlet mall during a rain storm) up to Destin to visit the Haucks. We could only stay for a minute and check out Dottie's digs but so fun to see them. You know, since we hadn't seen them in at least 48 hours. 

All in all, we spent our days swimming, our nights cooking and being together as a family and not showering. Chlorine counts as a bath, amiright? It was a perfect and relaxing trip. The cousins all get along so well together and they just make it so easy to have a good time. Even at my most high strung, anxiety ridden moment they could make me relax and laugh. I can’t wait for many more Peterson family trips! Thank you Grandpa for the fun week, we love being all together!!



And just like that, we were back at the airport with our gear.


No comments:



blogger template by lovebird