Monday, August 27, 2012

it's a BOY!

I made it to my PC! Long post with lots of pictures to follow..

On Thursday, August 16th, 2012, Patrick Callahan Peterson was born. He arrived at 11:19am and weighed in at a whopping 9 lbs 2 oz. I have said it a million times, but seriously buddy. I felt every ounce of that 9 lbs 2 oz.
The morning started off as any of my previous two births. Arrived at the hospital, checked in, and waited around for a nurse to come in and start an IV. I should have known by the 4th attempt of putting the IV in my arms that things were not going to go as smoothly as Ellie's birth.
After two attempts at an epidural due to a nerve block, I was numb. The double dose of anesthesia caused my blood pressure to drop pretty quickly, therefore causing the baby's heartbeat to drop (this was serious deja vu from John's birth). Right when the nurses were saying to call my OB, my OB walked into the room. She said they needed to get me into the operating room immediately and they would re-check the baby's heart rate again. They flipped my head down and rushed me again into the operating room. Chris said we left my prep room at 11:14am.. at 11:19am, they announced the baby was out.
They had already called in the NICU staff on the way in, so they took the baby right away. At this point, I didn't know if he was a he or a she, and I totally forgot to ask. Chris finally looked at me laughing and said "It's a boy!". Good thing we decided on a boy's name at 11pm the night before. Patrick Callahan Peterson (Yes, John is John Patrick, we just really like the name and are not super creative) was not breathing when he was born. His "cries" were really attempts for air. They put him on oxygen right away. I remember asking if he could go to the regular nursery and the NICU doctor said "nope, he will not be going with you". Chris said they whisked him away pretty quickly and rushed down the hall to his room for the night. I was left in the operating room by myself to discuss health insurance plans with my OB. My awkward small talk got the best of me even in a situation like that.
The doctor and Chris came back a bit later to tell me that Patrick was on oxygen and already was sounding better.
We had a whole plan that Chris was going to bring Ellie back to the recovery room first, meet the baby and then go out and tell the family if she had a brother or a sister. Since there was no baby in the recovery room, I told Chris that I just wanted him to tell them and get my mom down to the NICU right away to find out what was going on.
While I was in recovery, I was told that Patrick was sounding better, but was still on oxygen. He would be in the unit for at least 24 hours, and they couldn't make any guarantees on him being out the next morning. They basically just had to see how he did.
Day 1 for Patrick was a day full of oxygen, feeding tubes (they had trouble getting an IV into him too, therefore had to tube him to eat), xrays, pokes & prods, bottle feeds, and meeting the family.
Ellie, who never once changed her girl vote, took the news of another brother really well! She was calling him "buddy" and "little honey" in no time. I have since changed that "little honey" to "little honey boo child".
Chris posted a picture of Patrick on Facebook with Patrick in a small bed, looking swollen, and attached to a ton of wires. I get he was on the larger size for newborns, but the picture posted made him look at least 15 lbs. Compared to the other 1 pounders in the Giraffe pod, Patrick did look like a small toddler, but I am happy to report that he is still in newborn diapers today!
The recovery room was lonely! No baby to stare at and limited family members (since  they were all hanging with Patrick). So while I attempted to move my legs, I eavesdropped. Which is actually pretty entertaining in the recovery room.
Once my legs were a'movin (which took forever due to the double dose of epidural), I was able to be wheeled in to meet Patrick.
Meeting my third baby for the first time. They whisked him away in the operating room so fast I didn't get to meet him. I barely saw his face. I only got to be in the NICU for about 10 minutes when a massive xray machine was wheeled in. My bed took up too much room, so off I went.
I had to take up residence for the night on the 5th floor, since P was not in the full term nursery yet. Since we are totally normal and think we own Mercy, Court & Joanne went to work making the 5th floor feel like home.  Ellie was so good all day! She was at the hospital from about 10am-6pm.
Although, this is what they looked like at 6pm.. 

First bottle feed! Patrick was able to get off the feeding tube late Thursday night and the oxygen came off shortly after. They were testing things out and he did great! The nurses kept me up to date with all his progress throughout the night. 
I was able to be wheeled in at about 9pm and hold my little boy and feed him. After the afternoon's events, it was so nice to just sit in a quiet room and hold Patrick. (pictures on my iPhone to be uploaded). 


On Friday morning after a quick visit, Patrick was released from NICU and brought up to the normal 7th floor nursery! I was wheeled up to 7145 where I spent the remainder of my stay :) At around 10am, he was able to come in with me. I knew that Patrick was in the best hands for his 24 hour stay and that our "medical emergency" was nothing in comparison to what other parents go through.
The remainder of our stay was VERY uneventful, just filled with a LOT of visitors. We were so lucky that people still were interested in us after #3.  
Aunt Cece came in for TEN days to help me with Ellie & John and to meet the newest baby Petes. Courtney has come in town for all 3 of the kids births, and we couldn't be happier to have her with us. She left yesterday and there were LOTS of tears. We wish Cece lived in St. Louis, but are happy that she is only 5 hours away in 'Cago.

Papa and Patrick. My dad said he has had enough of the kids favoring my mom, so he is going to start trying to mold Patrick early so that he is his favorite. He put in a lot of holding time in at the hospital, and I think he already has a leg up.
In my mom's defense, she was busy with the two older kids and had a cold and didn't want to be too close to Patrick. She has really put in her hours though since we have been home. The fight continues!
Patrick is the sweetest and most laid back baby SO FAR. I know we are only a week in and sleep is his main priority. But so far, we cannot complain once!
Johnny knows who the "baby" is, and knows that the "baby" comes with nee-nee's (or binkies, the same binkies that we were addicted too 6 weeks ago, the same binkies that we took away 6 weeks ago, the same binkies that we have not sucked on except for night time in 6 weeks). Well, we have taken MAJOR steps backwards, and John has a binkie in his mouth at least 80% of the day.
But that's okay. He is 16 months and just got a new baby brother and is taking the change really well! He just misses that his mommy can't pick him up. We will work on the binkie issue while I am on maternity leave.
Ellie, on the other hand, has not looked back. She knows that nee-nee's are only for babies and she is cool with that. She LOVES being a big sister to her buddies and is such a little mommy. After attempting to breastfeed her poor little brother, she has helped changed diapers, get wipes, give Patrick a bath, pats his back to burp and wants to hold him at all times.
 She is a very good shusher when he starts to get fussy!
 Photo op of the 3 Petes babies..
 turns into this. John must be teething, again, his hands are in his mouth constantly and he immediately developed a bad cold/cough the second he met the baby!
 Grandpa and Patrick
Grandpa and his 2 August babies. Patrick is 08/16, Grandpa is 08/22 and Ellie is 08/27. Who knew August could be so hopping?
Uncle Tee Tee and P. T and Cheryl met Patrick in the NICU, but everyone came back for a chance to hold him later on!
 Aunt Cheryl and Patrick
Mommy is a sucker for these boys! But I have a feeling Ellie and I will be having a LOT of girl fun in the next couple of years.

Amy getting a workout holding Patrick. Amy and Katie came to visit me on Friday night and keep me company!
 Katie on visit 3 of 4 I think..
Daddy and Patrick. Everyone keeps asking if he is thrilled with his two boys. He is beyond thrilled, but remains a major sucker on the little girl front. Ellie and him share a bond that no one will ever touch. But I know he already has serious hockey plans for Johnny and Patrick.
Ellie's twin. I still see a BIT of John in that sweet face, but he is basically a boy version of Ellie. I can't wait to see what he looks like in 3 years and if his tantrums are as big as his big sisters.
 Don't you be talking bout my tantrums.. More on this on Ellie's 3 year post :)
 BOYS STINK!
 But I love my little honey anyway
Going home day. Ellie started pre-school the week before Patrick was born. The first week was awesome. The second week, notsomuch. She knew that there was a new baby and that mom was home, and that has turned into some major tears and wanting mommy.
I decided to let her stay home the day that Patrick came home from the hospital. I was really happy with my decision (although I feel like her school hates me because she has been home from school about the same amount of times she has been at school).
Chris brought her + her breakfast up and we spent a quiet morning in my room before we were released. Ellie even got to meet Dr. McLaughlin, and she was fascinated that it was the doctor that delivered her.
 We got Patrick fed, dressed and cleaned up my room and then just waited..
 and played with little baby toes
 and sat around
 and had suckers
 and stared at our new baby brother
 and blew him kisses..
 until we were finally HOME!

Thank you all for all the well wishes for our sweet little boy's arrival. We couldn't be more in love with him! Our house is a mess, and loud, and probably stinks, but that is okay. We made it over the first hump. We no longer have 3 kids under 3! Our oldest turned 3 today and that is the next big celebration!!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird