Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ice Skating!

Last night we had our annual Christmas Skate. Our friends rent out Shaw Park outdoor rink for our ever-expanding families every year the week before Christmas. Most of Chris' friends grew up on the ice together and their dream is to have their kids do the same.
Too bad the girls rule in this group :) Although I could see a few of them being expert hockey players.
I think from the moment that I told Chris on that January eve in 2009 that the digital EPT read "Pregnant" he had been thinking of this moment. Ellie first time on skates. Girl Boy, it doesn't matter. He was full of dad-pride while he was lacing up here skates.
I, for the second year in a row, use John as an excuse "Oh I am pregnant, I can't skate"... "oh, the babbbby... I can't skate". I better be pregnant in December 2012. I really really hate ice skating.

Ellie on the other hand.. is hooked. She has not stopped talking about these brown skates since last night. Chris has not stopped talking about the Ben Gay that he needs applied to his lower back for bending over for an hour. But that is a dad's job. Right?



 Andrew and Ryan getting all laced up...
Dan's smart idea of bringing the sleds. The girls had so much fun zipping around the rink behind their dads.
Since I am self-admittedly a HORRIBLE skating, I can say this. Watching someone who is truly amazing on skates, and can walk better on the ice than off, is so fun to watch. It is so so natural for Chris and his friends to just hop on out there. I take one step thru the door and my feet are facing north.
Hopefully Ellie and John will take after their father in athletics. Except for swimming. That is one area where I really show off in our marriage. I can swim circles around Chris... (come on family, insert the 500 meter joke here).
Johnny bear just being happy to be included. I am sure he will have teeny skates on next year. This year he just watched from the sidelines with Uncle Timmy and Aunt Cheryl who came to visit.

 Crusty nose and Dad's PeeWee Quebec headband. Check!
Gretch would NOT leave the ice either. Her and Ellie are the 2028 Olympic Champions in pairs skating, I think!

 Thanks for coming to watch us Timmy and Cheryl!
 Andddddd. She's hooked!
 John getting a turn on the ice.
 Ellie and Gretch, skating extroidaires!
I am so proud of both these little gals. Starting a new sport can be a scary task, and these two were awesome!
Not only is the skating part so fun, it is even more fun to watch our kids play and grow up together. There were a LOT of emotional dads today emailing back and forth about how much love we have for each others kids.
GET a ROOM :)
Can't wait until next year!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird