Split that V and dot that I curl the C-T-O-R-Y. I won! I got the email I was waiting for yesterday from my dear husband stated.. "you can get the layered bed that you want" .. and then followed up with "let me know when you need my credit card number". Excuse me while I clear the fog from my glasses. WHAT? Chris is not a credit card giver. He is not a "you did a great job today, you deserve a treat" handing me a blank check or credit card sort of husband. We discuss everything to death before we make "major" purchases. Frankly, we need to. I am a bit of a black out shopper. Like I need need need until I can't breathe, buy the desired item and then come too. I seriously don't remember making 1/2 the unnecessary purchases I have made, but good thing Chris is there to shout out every single one when reviewing out credit card statements. "What did you get at Gap for $46.50?" or "Taco Bell again?" (this obviously was a long time ago, since I have finally disowned Taco Bell after the last time my mom dragged me there for a lipstick covered burrito supreme). I usually pretend I am asleep or cry saying that he is not fair to me and I have such a bad life, ect ect ect. I do anything to get out of confrontation, but I mean, really do we need to discuss bills at 11pm at night? Chris does his best work in the middle of the night when I am like already 4 hours in dream world. Anyway, today I make my first purchase of having the layered show-room bed that I so covet.
Last night I ventured out to my newest "Get Rich Quick Scheme", as my brother calls it. Chris and I have tried to get rich quick several times. Chris and Andrew were going to move to Columbia and sell washers curbside or I was going to buy an embroiderer and become a monogrammed to the St. Louis stars.. but those ships sailed quickly. This time I have a feeling it will stick a bit longer, well it has too, I have actually put money into it this time, so Chris will make it stick. Since Courtney runs a wedding stationary company and I dream of quitting my job and working casually for her one day, I thought I should start some sort of trade that would benefit her company. Enter, St. Louis Calligraphy Guild. Found it on-line, signed up, sent in my check, and started my first night of classes last night. Now. School has never been my strong suite. But I figured, this was an elective, I wanted to sign up for it, I have really good handwriting (I do, you can't deny it), and I figured I would be really good at this, right? Well, I was already crying last night when our "teacher" told us that we would have class on President's Day. Who has class on President's Day? I am off work that day and then need to go to school at night? Damn. Back to school.. Okay, so I was praying my mom wouldn't ask me where the class was, because the second I told her- Crestwood Mall- she was packing her bag telling me she would come to class with me and do bills while I learned my new trade. I am 30 years old, a wife, a mother of soon to be 2 children, I do not need my mom going to my first day of calligraphy class with me. Crestwood Mall. The site of a lot of my childhood escapades. I grew up across the street from it. Well not really, but my parents sent us to their version of daycare- Crestwood Pool- daily from 6:45am-6pm every day. My sister and I were raised by teenaged lifeguards. To this day my dad tells me it was the best money he ever spent. On a weekly basis, I would walk across the street to Crestwood Mall to help myself to a slice of First Federal Pizza, a quick spin in the arcade of Exhilerama, or some shopping at Oshmans Sporting Goods ;) How could Crestwood Mall be dangerous or life threatening?
I parked by The Gap and quickly learned that the management was no longer paying their heating bill, and further learned that The Gap is really one of the only stores in there... that with Bath & Body Works and Sears. The rest of the space is called "Art Space".. and it is a ton of Esty wannabe's renting out space to hone their craft. I finally asked Christie Dee of Christie Dee's Fine Handmade Jewelry where my class was- she told me the other side of the mall. I started my journey. As I was walking, I passed 3 Ballet Studios, 3 Children Birthday locations- one being a Mary Engelbreit theme, 4 Handmade Jewelry stores, 1 store dedicated to only pashminas, and a framing store- which I later discovered was owned by one of my new classmates. Right around the Pasta House turn, 1/2 mile into my walk, I started thinking that it was a very good possibility that one of these mall walkers was going to deliver my premature baby. 1/2 mile later, right next to Chevy's, I found my "classroom". Barb was already getting started on the alphabet. When I walked in, she asked who I was and I said "Megan" duh!.. she had no clue who I was, and didn't have me listed on her class list. Really? There were 3 people sitting in class, how could you forget 4 names? I reminded her that we spoke last Monday and she told me to come tonight and bring my check. When I mentioned the $75 check, she welcomed me with open arms. I sat next to the girl that appeared my age. She had her lined paper, ruler, a pencil case of several markers and pencils with sharpener. I remembered how much I hated school. I looked at the clock- 7:20. Damn, class ends at 9. The girl my age was like the Rachel Berry of calligraphy. Hand was up 90% of the time and the massive smile never left her face. Barb continued on the alphabet. Rachel Berry ooohhhed and ahhhhed with every letter breathing "oh that is just beautiful". She turned to me "Angela, right?" (do I look like an Angela?) No. Megan. "Oh, Megan! HAHAHA. Allison! What do you do?" I work in insurance. "OMG, that is fun!!! I work in accounting, well. I work in PR and Marketing for an accounting firm, so like the FUN side of things.. Isn't THIS so fun?" uhhuh. "you have a pretty q". Thanks. 7:35.
While I sat shivering praying Barb would switch on one of the 3 space heaters in the room, I worked away on my letters and I decided I really like the calligraphy portion of the class. I love the praise of my handwriting- although I need to work on being a little less girly (seriously, I have never heard that in my life "Megan you need to be less girly") and I think I am going to really like it once I get going. But the class part, and the other students (An architect who cried when she was reprimanded for her too straight characters "my parents paid a lot of money for me to write straight, I am an architect by trade".. and the owner of The Art of Framing next to the old Limited down the mall "I have studied under some of the great calligraphers of the world (did you know there were great calligraphers of our world?) " while wearing a calligraphered letter-man jacket- yes she was) are a different story.
Class was finally over-- right after Barb asked if it was okay if we had class on Valentine's Day, to which my 3 classmates were obviously fine with and asked if they could bring their cats in that day- I kid I kid. Chris' annual tradition of taking me to Macaroni Grill with a gift card on will sadly be put on hold this year.
As I started my mile journey to the other side of the mall.. I realized that I really wish Joanne and her bag of bills were with me and gripped my dad's loaner metal ruler "I really want that back, Meg" a little tighter.
Long story short. I am going to become St. Louis' newest Calligrapher to the stars- Behind my mentor MJ of course. I will let you know when I master capital letters, and then we can talk!

5 comments:
I LOVE it! Sorry you have to endure a SNL skit to hone your new trade but it will be worth it!
Really love this post..and that your taking this class! It sounds great for your future St. Louis Calligraphy takeover...and entertaining for me to read through your blog :)
First Federal Pizza. That's it. Made. My. Day.
Great post - I haven't thought about Crestwood in a LONG time! We have a mall just like that here in KC that has no stores, just weirdo rented places. It's CREEPY! Good luck with class, I promise to hire you for Lucy's wedding! (or if I could think of any other calligrapher uses before then)
Hi, it's Jane! Ummm... I had completely forgotten about "She splits her V, she dots her I, she cuuuurves her CTORY." That just made me so happy :)Also love reading about your class, so funny.
Post a Comment