Wednesday, October 27, 2010

New York .. in pictures..

For my 30th birthday, Chris took me & Ellie to New York. My brother, Sean, is living there for a few months for work, and we are all taking turns going to visit him. My parents came the same weekend and we were lucky enough for Catherine to be visiting as well!
We left for NYC Thursday night thinking it would be better to put Ellie to sleep on the plane. She did pretty well. Although thru the cracks in my seat I read the woman's text message in front of me before taking off.. "baby behind us, may kill myself". Super! Needless to say, I wasn't too upset when the fussiness set in around hour one. After being walked up and down the aisle for a while by the flight attendent, she was ready for bed. I felt like the worst mom EVER when we arrive in NY later than expected 11:30 local time, and had to walk a few blocks to my brother's in the cold, rainy weather. 
 Friday was my birthday and my parents were set to arrive that AM. Chris went and had a few business meetings and Sean and I took Ellie out for a walk and brunch. Once we all reconvened at Sean's apartment, it was time for lunch. We had to try the Shake Shack, everyone had been talking about it. It is owned by a StL native who also owns some well-known restaurants in the NY area. Think Carls but outside.
 After the Shake Shack we headed towards Ground Zero, first with a stop for a picture at the Empire State Buillding. If you are looking at this picture, Sean lives o the right of the ESB, in an area called Murray East. We definitely weren't feeling the fall weather love, and it was cold, again, add another mark on the bad mother list. I felt horrible for having Ellie out in this weather, especially since we were coming off a fever the week before. But she was bundled up, and was a trooper!
 Our first Subway rde. The guy behind my mom was really laughing at us, b/c my dad couldn't figure out how to swipe Sean's subway card, and ended up spending about $30 trying to make it thru the turnstyle.
 The Fire Station right across from Ground Zero. Chris and I went into a Memorial Museum that was pretty amazing. I have recommended it for Tim & Cheryl who will be heading that way in a couple of weeks.

 Ground Zero.. it looks like a construction zone, but pretty humbling to know that thousands of people lost their lives on the very ground that we were standing on just 10 years ago.
 The NYC Skyline from the ferry on the way to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.
 Lady Liberty. We decided to only hit up one spot, and decided that we would get more bang for our buck at Ellis Island. We were right. Ellis Island was actually really cool and we spend a good amount of time there (and warming up). Don't worry, the Ferry had an inside where Ellie, my mom and I spent our time.
 The walking, cold weather, and tours did us in. Ellie was such a trooper all day and didn't cry/complain once, but I knew a nice 3 hour long dinner was not in our future. We had moved to our hotel earlier that day and my mom decided a McDonald's picnic was just what the dr ordered for her and Ellie. My dad, Sean, Chris and I headed to get something quick just around the corner. I was so tired, I didn't even care that we weren't having a wild birthday celebration for my 30th. It was exactly what I wanted at the time.
Ellie and my mom had a great time in the hotel and were both passed out when we got home. Sean and Chris decided to go out for a bit, and I went to bed.
 While we were sleeping, Chris explored the city. He is such a night owl. We got our hotel thru priceline (negotiator), which we had never done. We got an amazing deal, but did not know our hotel was in Time's Square until we left. We weren't like in the HEART of it, but one block from it. I mean, Time's Square is a mess. At any time of the day there are 10 rows of people deep on the sidewalk. In future trips, I will miss this part of the "tour".. but our hotel was nice, and the bed was comfy, and that is all I cared about.
 Time's Square at night. The lights NEVER stop.  I can't imagine what this costs.
 The Petes family at Rockefeller Center. The Ice Rink was up and ready to go. For a slight minute Chris wanted to take Ellie out for a skate, but then got over it quickly.
 Sean & Kiks. Only months away from saying "I Do!". Kiks and Sean are such New Yorkers, the rest of us stick out like a sore thumb..
 Which brings me to my parents... My dad got scammed w/in 24 hours of arriving, and bought his NY hat by donating $10 to a Soup Kitchen. We told him we didn't think his money was making it's way there. He really loves the hat though, and keeps wearing it.  Ellie is mid-meltdown, please excuse her.
 We were in heaven at American Girl on 5th Avenue. My mom was over the moon. She has dreamed of this day since she purchased our Kirsten & Samantha dolls 20 years ago. Ellie got a Bitty Baby for Christmas last year, so her Bitty Baby got new Christmas Jams on this trip. Too bad the matching ones won't fit Ellie for a good 3-4 years, but that is what happens when you buy a 4 month old a Bitty Baby. American Girl is such a fun store, we saw the beauty shop, dolls having tea, and a few unfortunate dolls hitting up the doll hospital.
 We continued down 5th Avenue where Ellie met a Gloria lookalike at FAO Schwartz. Sean made Ellie a muppet a few months ago, and it was a big hit. Ellie loved seeing all the other muppets in one place. While we purchased zero toys, I felt it necessary to spend $23 in candy at the candy bar there. I seriously don't even eat that much candy.
And then on down to The Plaza Hotel. Thankfully we were not there the same weekend Charlie Sheen was there. Anyway, we hit up the Eloise at the Plaza store in the basement. OHMYDEARGOD how cute is that. I love love love Eloise books and movies and may or may not have watched the movies after the age of 25. Guilty. Anyway, moving along. I think they are so super cute, so we were so excited to see it. Ellie LOVED Eloise's pink baby grand, and was impressing the staff with her musical knowledge and page turning of the sheet music. Please know that this is hysterical to me,as I was basically kicked out of my recorder class for not being able to master Hot Cross Buns. She cried and cried and cried when we dragged her out of there, don't worry I bribed her with a $15 worm from my bag.
 We were then off to Central Park, where Ellie's dad spent a good majority of his time watching Breakdancers. He was fascinated by them, and took several videos. We loved seeing the sailboats and all the dogs in the park.
 We had dinner that night in Little Italy. It was so good! Ellie was reaching her breaking point of being tied down by this point, and the other diners didn't LOVE having a 1 year old dine with them. My own brother suggesting drugging his dear sweet niece with Tylenol! Only AFTER I realized that a 2nd molar was coming in, did I take his advice. All I have to say is thank god for my mom and Chris, I can never travel alone with children.
 So my favorite picture of the night. All thruout Time's Square are massive jumbotrons, most of you obviously know this, as you are not as clueless as this Midwesterner.. Anyway, Chris told me that he found himself on the jumbotron and took a picture..
 I will give $20 to the first person that can spot him. It is like a Where's Waldo NYC addition, the only thing missing is a walking stick and striped shirt.
 Can you see him? I laugh everytime, because I can now spot him right away and it just seriously cracks me up.
 That picure was taken right after he got rid of me & Ellie and headed out to meet Sean and Catherine at Mcsorley's across town. I would have LOVED to go there, not pregnant, pregnant would have been miserable-- standing, a ton of drunk guys, no food-- I mean miserable. Chris, of course, LOVED it.

 Brunch on our last day in the Meatpacking District. Right after our walk thru of the Chelsea Market, which Chris and I loved! Wish we could have spent way more time there. It was really decorated for Halloween and such a cool space.
 A few pictures out of order.. Ellie back at stop number 1 eating her 40th-50th fry of the trip. When did she seriously become such a fry junkie? I don't get it.


We moved our computer to the basement, and something happened, it is so slow! I have so many more pictures to put up, but about half didn't upload. I am going to try and put some on facebook, since I know you guys are dying to see more skyline pictures and family pictures of me, chris and ellie.
Oh, and I need to re-hook up the scanner. I had a bonus ultrasound today. I may have taken a minor tumble down the basement steps this AM. I don't know why I woke up at 6:30 to do laundry, but I did, and thankfully the steps are now carpeted. It was as if I slipped on a banana peel, my feel comically went up so high in the air and I landed so hard on my low back. I didn't think anything of it, because I 1) didn't fall on my stomach and 2) didn't feel any pain..but after telling a friend about it, she encouraged me to call the doctor just in case. I did and they wanted me in for an ultrasound. Again, I felt FINE, but whatever. The baby looks GREAT! Heart rate was 150 (Erin, does this make you think boy??) and the best thing.. baby #2 was crossing his/her feet at the ankle. Ellie was like this in every ultrasound pic and continues to do this all the time- sleeping, eating, riding in the car.. and Chris is the same way, does it all the time. Love it.
Okay, soreness has settled in and I feel rickity and old ladish, so I need to grab my heating pad and go to bed.
Ellie had her first Halloween party tonight, so I will post more tomorrow.

4 comments:

Aunt Cece said...

Great, great blog post! I hadn't heard a lot of these stories and I wish I could have been there!

Kelly Fleming said...

Love the New York pics!! Ellie looks adorable!! Love me some fall sweater / Ugg weather :)

Life with Lucy said...

Um, I went to McSorely's with Ruggeri when I was pregnant. I had both the "dark" and "light" beers along with the only food in the bar, saltines. I think I ate a whole package by myself. Thank goodness it was early afternoon and the Ruggeri's got us a table to share with strangers!

Katie said...

HA! Love that your Dad couldn't work the Subway card either! Kathy Ruggeri and that card are worst enemies!!! It was soo funny at first, but by the 16th time, we were ready to hurt her! Love the McSorley's photo! GREATEST place on earth, that is if you aren't preggers! Def. will have to go back for that!



blogger template by lovebird